Monday, January 2, 2017

Why Not You?

The story of Billy Mills' come-from-behind underdog victory in the 10K at the 1964 Olympics has become the stuff of running legend--a story so perfect in its simplicity that it seems entirely unreal.

There are many tellings and retellings of Mills' story in the canon of running lore, and many of them offer slight variations on the theme of the power of positive thinking.  I've often heard the story paraphrased as Mills continually asking himself, "Why not me?" with every lap of the track, until he realized that he was in a position to win it all.

Then, he simply went for it, because he believed that he could.

And, of course, he won.


Since it is the beginning of the new year, there is no better time for all of us to channel the power of this story in the pursuit of our own goals.  "Why not us?", we can be asking ourselves.  For my own part, I have the 2017 Boston Marathon on the horizon.  The road to this one has been challenging--more challenging than I would have liked.  Still, why not me, and why not now?

If you've been thinking about starting/getting back into/working to improve your own running, allow me to ask: why not now?

Why not you?

And why not with us?

Coach Kiprunning wishes you an excellent 2017, and we're happy to work with you, whatever your goals might be.

We hope to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment