Sunday, June 5, 2022

Kiprunning Return: Run after the Women 5K

I have written elsewhere about the two ankle surgeries that I have undergone to repair a talar dome osteochondral defect in my right foot. I went down with this injury in July of 2018, and just as I started to make a comeback last fall, after my first (extensive) surgery, my foot exploded in pain once again, and I soon discovered that I required a second procedure, which I had in December 2021.

The recovery for the second procedure was nowhere near as lengthy as my first one, and thankfully, I was able to start running again in early March 2022.

It remains to be seen what the future will be for me. This is a major injury that has permanently reduced the range of motion in my right ankle, and I haven't run more than ten consecutive miles since the early summer of 2018, because my right leg has a lot of difficulty sustaining itself, it seems.

Today, though, I tested things out at the DC Road Runners Run after the Women 5K, the first race in their summer Bunion Derby Series.

I did okay!

Joseph P. Fisher finishing the 2022 Run after the Women 5K
Joseph P. Fisher finishing the 2022 Run after the Women 5K

20:13 for a 6:31 average pace.

To date, my longest run has only been six miles, and I have only run that distance twice, the second time being this morning.

I guess we will see how this goes.

Congratulations to all of the finishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment