Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Race Recap: St. Pat's Run 5K 2017

The past year or so has found me doing a lot of work to build Coach Kiprunning and to set up our Sports Club.  As a result, I haven't been competing in many races in recent years.  With 2017 well underway, I am hoping to change that trend as I return to competitive running.

As our own Joseph P. Fisher pointed out a few months ago, we aren't getting any younger around here.  Therefore, I am currently setting my sights on training to compete in the Masters division of a future Boston Marathon (I'm not quite that old yet).  My more immediate test race is going to be this year's Cherry Blossom Ten Miler.

As a warm up race, I competed in last week's Race for Equal Justice.  This past weekend found me in the St. Pat's Run 5K.

The field in this race, as well as in the 10K, is very competitive.  The course, however, is flat and fast, which probably contributes to the intense competition, but in doing so also allows runners a great chance for PR-setting times.  I was pleased with how I ran, and I am anticipating some good racing and training in the future--just as the weather warms up, I hope!

In the meantime, I want to emphasize how much fun these races are just for pure camaraderie. Fittingly, they began with the sound of bagpipes and a healthy dose of good cheer.


The runners--both competitive and recreational alike--were in good spirits, even though the weather dipped dramatically into the cold temperatures.  The sunshine, however, couldn't have been better, and it made for a festive day all around.

Elite runners at the start of the St. Pat's Day 10KRecreational runners at the start of the St. Pat's Day 10K

Again, I was just thrilled to compete and to be able to spend my weekend around other runners.  The day before the race, I jogged with a small group of runners from the Kiprunning Sports Club and finished just in time to chat with some members of DC Road Runners.

Wilson Komen and Kiprunning Sports Club runners

Kiprunning Sports Club and DC Road Runners

It was a great weekend, and I am looking forward to many similar ones in the near future.  I'll see all of you out there.

Run Steady,

Coach Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment